Tutorial: How to make a brush bag

Share it Please
I am taking a painting class this fall, and I am SO excited.  I have always enjoyed painting and have completed a few things here and there (one being my guestbook, seen below) but I have never taken an art class. 

In the midst of my anticipation, I have been collecting all of the required materials for the class, although did not come across a brush bag that would fit my brushes.  [They are quite tall.] So, I decided to get creative and make my own - something unique yet convenient. 

Materials:
Canvas
Material with decorative print
Straight pins
Thread
Ruler
Scissors/Rotary Cutter 
Straps/Ribbon



Step 1: Measure Your Canvas
I started with cutting a corner off of the canvas curtain we used as our photo booth backdrop.  Because it was a corner, two sides were already sewn for me. 


Step 2: Straight pin your sides


Step 3: Sew your sides


Step 4: Measure more canvas material for a pocket, straight pin, and sew.


Step 5: Straight pin and sew pocket on canvas back


Step 6: Measure brushes
I found the easiest way to do this is place your brushes in your pocket and with a ruler draw a vertical line to follow while sewing. Make sure there is a enough room for your brushes to fit while it still being tight enough to hold them in place. 


Step 7: Sew along lines


Step 8: Measure another fabric to be a little bigger than the canvas back


Step 9: Straight pin the sides and sew


Step 10: Straight pin fabric to canvas and sew


Step 11: Straight pin straps and sew
  A couple years ago, Matthew bought me a dress from Anthropologie for Christmas, and the box was tied with this adorable button ribbon.  I've held on to it, knowing I was going to use it somewhere.



Step 12: Sew on your straps
Make sure to only sew a few inches of your straps so you have enough material to wrap around your bag 


And thats it!  Here's the inside...


And the outside :]

This bag will work for make-up brushes and other accessories as well.

Enjoy!

<3 Saleena


4 comments :

  1. Oh, I love this! You are so creative! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute! You should definitely submit this to some blogs! i am sure people would re-post this! It's a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea Brittanee! Do you know how to go about doing that? I wouldn't even know where to start...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's beautiful! I wish I had a sewing machine. I used to but I let my brother take it. He uses more than I ever did.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers

Follow Me!

As you may know, Google connect will not be on blogger for much longer, so PLEASE follow me through Linky Followers!